I started the Eat Clean Diet in January 2013. Before this time I had no idea what eating clean meant or how to do it. Tosca Reno is the creator of the Eat Clean Diet and it is, simply put, eating foods in their most natural state and not eating anything processed (put down the Oreos!).
If it was made from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don’t eat it.
The first thing I did when I decided to eat clean was purchase Tosca Reno’s book Eat Clean Diet Extended Version (which can be purchased from Amazon here).
This book is worth its weight in gold! It explains everything you need to know about starting to eat clean and even supplies some meal plans for beginners in the back.
Making the transition from eating processed and unhealthy foods to eating clean can be difficult, especially if you aren’t the type to eat any veggies or fruit to begin with. I suggest starting small and incorporate one clean meal into your diet a day and gradually keep adding more clean meals until you are comfortable with eating clean. It is important to set small, attainable goals for yourself or else you will just set yourself up for failure.
Feel like taking the dive into eating clean? These are a few tips that helped me when I first started:
1. SHOP the outside of the grocery store. Everything fresh you need is on the outside (fruits, veggies, butcher, etc.) I only step into a food aisle for the odd item, such as coffee and whole grain pasta.
2. READ the labels on everything before you buy it. You may think it’s time consuming, but a lot of products have added salt which isn’t necessary. And if you can’t pronounce an ingredient, put it back.
3. DRINK lots and lots of water! Recommended daily intake for adults is 8 glasses per day. It’s important to stay hydrated and sometimes your brain mistakes thirst for hunger.
4. SNACK if you’re hungry (and you know from number 3 above that you aren’t in fact just thirsty) it’s okay to grab a snack. A list of 100 Calorie Snacks from Eating Well is here, or you can just grab an apple!
5. PLAN ahead. Meal planning and prepping is really important if you want to stay on track. When you prep your meals ahead of time you have no excuses for straying from your plan.
If you have any questions about eating clean please feel free to leave them in the comments section!